The Kern Wheelmen Bicycle Club is a non-profit club dedicated to organizing cycling activities for all levels and ages of riders. We are a social club promoting cycling fun for all.
We have a beginner group to teach safety, bike care, nutrition and training. We have several intermediate groups for experienced cyclists. We can help you become the rider you want to be.
The Kern Wheelmen have weekly local rides from cruising the bike path to rides to the top of the mountain and back. We have special organized rides such as our Poker ride and the Spooktacular with hundreds of cyclists for all ages and levels. We support other groups such as Bike Bakersfield, Tehachapi Mountain Trails Association, All Action Racing (time trials), and donate annually to cycling-related causes and groups.
We have monthly meetings and club social rides open to all cyclists. You do not have to be a member to attend. Come to one of our meetings and find out all about us.
As a Club, we seek to offer support to the cyclists of Kern County. This support is provided in many ways:
- We are proud supporters of worthy health and bicycle-related causes and have donated yearly to this.
- Helping the community out and volunteering to work club events. Free t-shirts and other vendor provided items are often given to the volunteers.
- The Club hosts its annual Spooktacular Century each fall, attracting hundreds of riders seeking to challenge themselves on some of our fantastic cycling routes. There are group training rides leading up to the Spook to get you ready to ride the course of your choice.
Wanna go faster?? We have that covered too. Kern Wheelmen hosts our Kern River Duathlon every April. Many of our riders participate regularly in time trials and other events. If you like to train for endurance, such as a century or double century, Kern Wheelmen has the 200 Club to help you get the distance training you need.
We benefit from our Kern Wheelmen membership as well, and here are some of the ways:
- Wanna go your pace?? Check out our riding groups of all different speeds. Keep up that healthy and active lifestyle. Get motivation to ride by meeting with others and talking about training, rides, safety, bike maintenance, and bicycling in general
- Access to forums and posting rides on the KWM website. Social networking with other bike enthusiasts, many of whom are experienced riders and willing to share their knowledge.
- How about a deal? Your membership in KW will get you a 10% discount at some bike shops in town on bicycling purchases from Action Sports, Sniders Cyclery and Riverbend. You must present your KWM membership card prior to the purchase. Discounts do not apply to sale items or large cost items.
- Access to purchase Kern Wheelmen new club jerseys and cycling shorts.
- Your annual membership fee will cover you under our general insurance on all club rides.
- Our monthly club meetings are usually highlighted by a speaker or clinic. Want to hear how hard RAAM is? We have the 2- and 4-man record holders here in Bakersfield. Bike maintenance, health and nutrition; these are just some of the topics we cover.
- Look for our club rides.
- As a club we are represented by many types of riders and bikes. We are inclusive and strive to offer something for everyone regardless of how or what they ride. We work closely with the SSFTA, as many of us have mountain bikes. We also have many tandem riders, a few fixies and 1 or 2 recumbents. So run-what-ya-brung and join us!
We currently meet at Rusty's Pizza Parlor on SW corner of Ming & Ashe at 6:00pm. The meetings occur the first Monday of every month.
We love our cycling community and welcome your feedback and suggestions. Use our Contact Us page to tell us what we’re doing right or what we can improve on.